Name: bariatric coordinator
Phone: 020 7188 2892
Making a referral
We accept referrals from GPs.
Referral criteria for bariatric surgery (tier 4)
Your patient may be suitable for surgery if they have:
- failed to maintain weight loss using non-surgical measures, such as tier 3 weight management
- a body-mass index (BMI) between 30 to 35, with recent onset type 2 diabetes
- a BMI between 35 and 40, with other significant disease that could improve if they lost weight (for example, type 2 diabetes or high blood pressure)
- a BMI of more than 40
- a BMI of more than 50kg. Weight-loss surgery should be considered as first line treatment
The first step on our obesity pathway is an online weight-loss surgery education group session. Your patient may not be suitable for this if they:
- need an interpreter
- have a significant learning difficulty
- have already had bariatric surgery
If the patient is not suitable for this education session please note this in your referral.
Please make all referrals using the NHS e-Referral Service (e-RS).
- Under organisation or site name search for 'Guy's'
- Choose 'Guy’s and St Thomas’ Hospitals'
- Return to 'directory of service' tab
- Under 'service results' choose:
- 'Video Obesity Medicine'
- 'Guy's and St Thomas''
- The name of the clinician will be shown as 'McGowan, Barbara (Dr)'