Directions: from the main north wing entrance, turn right at main reception, then left into north wing. Take the lift up to the 12th floor and follow signs for Somerset Ward.
Somerset Ward is for trauma and orthopaedics patients.
- Number of beds: 16 (all individual rooms).
- Staff: 30 nurses and nursing assistants, doctors, a ward clerk, pharmacist, housekeeping team and porters.
Information for visitors
- In response to coronavirus, we are currently restricting the visiting times and the number of visitors per patient. Please visit the visiting patients page for more information.
- Visiting hours are 2pm-8pm, with no more than two visitors per patient at one time.
- To reduce the risk of infection, please do not sit on the beds.
- You can use your mobile phone on the ward, but please respect other patients while using it, especially when they may be asleep. Please make sure that it is kept on silent mode at all times.
Your care on Somerset Ward
Our welcome pack
We provide more information about your stay in our welcome pack. This contains a welcome booklet, which explains what to expect during your stay and what will happen on the day you are ready to leave hospital.
It also includes things to help make your stay as comfortable as possible, such as ear plugs, an eye mask, hand wipes, toothpaste, a toothbrush and non-slip socks.
Ward rounds generally start at 8.30am. Nurses do drug administration rounds at 8am, 12 noon, 6pm and 10pm. Please try not to disturb nurses doing drug rounds – there will be other staff who can help you. If you can't see another member of staff, please press your bedside buzzer for assistance.
The meeting your ward team page gives more information about the general ward routine.
- breakfast: 8am
- lunch: 12.30pm
- dinner: 5.30pm.
We have a 'protected mealtime' policy between 12 noon - 2pm so you can eat without being interrupted.
Hot drinks are available at all times from the tea trolley in the corridor opposite the kitchen. This is free for patients, but we ask visitors to make a small donation. Our catering assistant will also do a tea round in the morning and in the afternoon.
See our meals page for more information.
Facilities on the ward
There is a seated area for you and your visitors to wait. Please respect the area and keep it clean.
The Hospedia (formerly patientline) service by your bed offers a radio that you can use for free and a television, which you have to pay for. It also offers a telephone.
Tell us what you think
We hope your stay is as pleasant as possible. If you or any of your visitors have a question or compliment or concern, please: